Brexit turbulence calls for business agility
So far, near enough everything written about the impact of Brexit in the last two years has been hopelessly wide of the mark. “The economy will tank!” No it hasn’t. “Chaos will ensue!” Not yet at least…
You have to wonder whether the British bulldog spirit has had something to do with it. But as the appetiser of Article 50 transforms into the main course of full-on EU divorce proceedings, businesses need to supplement their daily dollop of good old-fashioned, never-say-die stoicism with a few extra helpings of dynamism and agility.
UK plc needs to open up to the world, not pull up the drawbridge
On the strength of recent EU negotiating shenanigans, even the most ardent Brexiteer admits the fact that uncertainty still lurks on the horizon, threatening to choke business confidence. No amount of “I told you so” will comfort the organisations that are poorly prepared to cope with it.
Business thrives on optimism and confidence, but it remains as critical as ever to safeguard against the potential of falling demand, changing customer preferences and rising costs.
That’s why so many business leaders are looking to the opportunities outside the EU, where new markets can deliver the growth they seek, as well as to do a better job of efficiently and effectively serving customers closer to home.
IT is the key enabler for agile businesses
Agility is one of those attributes that runs deep into the very fabric of an organisation. Like innovation, agility can’t simply be bought off the shelf. There is cultural change involved, and adaptions to work practices, soft-skills and strong leadership.
IT is the only thing that can accelerate the path to agility, breaking down the internal silos of an organisation, optimising business processes and being more responsive to customer needs and competitive challenges. At a time like Brexit, investments in IT-enabling agility are a wise move.
- Unified communications and collaboration systems
- If a business is like an engine, then communications is the oil that flows to every part and makes it work. Anytime, anyplace access to information, 360-degree user mobility and advanced multimedia conferencing are just some of the aspects of a UCC solution that enable rapid knowledge transfer within an organisation, and maximum agility in meeting customer needs.
- Cloud-based managed IT services
- The cloud has opened up a new dimension of flexible IT consumption and delivery models that radically alter the economics of running IT and make it simple to leverage next generation technology. Making sense of this, and extracting the relevant value, relies on the support of an expert managed IT service provider.
- Resilient, high performance connectivity
- Access to the right connectivity is crucial when you start thinking about your market on a global level. The choice and competitiveness of offerings has never been greater , but don’t just look for the headline speed/capacity. SLAs and scalability are just some of the other factors to consider when the objective is greater business agility.
- Continuous data backup and recovery
- Cyber attacks and other catastrophic events are a constant threat for organisations but data management and security solutions must not be so cumbersome and static as to compromise your agility goals. Dynamic, continuous backup is one feature of an agile data management strategy that encompasses disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
- Right-sized datacentre infrastructure
- The quest for maximum uptime is a key facet of agile businesses, but this must always be achieved within available budget, space and other constraints such as environmental policy. Within the most sensitive IT datacentre infrastructure, organisations must ensure that the protection measures and controls in place (such as UPS, DCIM, power and cooling etc.) match current requirements precisely and efficiently , with room to scale without disrupting cost models or sustainability targets.
Remember being told that “Brexit means Brexit?” At Comtec, we believe that Brexit means boosting your business agility through IT for the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead.
Please contact me to discuss how we can help support you on your journey to become a more dynamic and responsive organisation.