In a content and data-rich world, IT departments are under enormous pressure to continually extend storage capacity to satisfy a demand that is growing exponentially each year.
There are two kinds of data driving this storage explosion:
- Production data – the real-time data created and used by business applications. This is a lot of data, and it’s growing at a linear rate that varies from business to business, but averages out to about 8%.
- Copy data – the data created by all the business systems that make a copy of everything in production. Think backup, snapshot, disaster recovery, business continuity, test and development, analytics, information sharing, even compliance. The data created collectively by these systems grows at a geometric rate, depending on the number of systems deployed.
So if copy data is the real problem, what’s the root cause?
Each of these data protection and recovery applications operates in an independently to the others. Think about that for a second. Each of these vertically-integrated application infrastructures essentially performs the same four operations: Copy, Store, Move and Restore. Why maintain multiple tools, each managing redundant data and storing duplicate information?
Doing so results in multiple, unnecessary duplicate copies of data, leading to an increase in your required storage footprint, bandwidth requirements, backup windows, labour intensity and systems complexity.
While simply adding storage can provide a short-term fix, it also creates far greater long-term issues for storage management, back-ups and disaster recovery.
At Comtec, we believe that the solution lies in the principles of Virtualisation and the significant business benefits that it can deliver. We have joined forces with Actifio the pioneer and market leader in Copy Data Management to help organisations to deploy Virtual Data Management either as an on-premise solution, a cloud-based managed service or a hybrid of the two.
- Reduce demand on Storage Capacity by as much as 95%
- Reduce Network Utilisation for Data by as much as 70%
- Reduce Storage Costs by as much as 50%
- Create a Zero Backup Window
- Minimise energy costs and meet Carbon Reduction Commitments (CRC)
- Turn any room into a world-class datacentre or extend the life of an existing facility
- Enable a Near Instant Recovery for on and off premise data